MS Word files corrupt after Search & Replace

General discussions about Advanced Find and Replace
Franco

MS Word files corrupt after Search & Replace

Post by Franco »

I was testing the Demo Version of Advanced Find and Replace to see if this is what we need for our company prior of buying it.

I found out that our Word 2003 files became corrupt after using search and replace on them (.doc and .dot)
Further investigations showed that this happens when a word from the header (or footer) is beeing replaced with more or less characters then the original string. :(

Example:
Replacing the word "car" in the Header or Footer of an word document with the word "cat" is working fine as both words are the same lenght. Replacing the word "car" with "me" or "card" will corrupt the file

The "Search/Replace in MS Office files" Option is checked everywhere in the Options

thanks for a hint
Franco

Abacre
Site Admin

Re: MS Word files corrupt after Search & Replace

Post by Abacre »

You can get corrupted files is "Search/Replace in MS Office files" option is not checked. Because in this case it considers files as binary files.
But it should work with headers if "Search/Replace in MS Office files" option is checked.
Could you send a sample Word file support@abacre.com
also go to menu Action - Save Configuration As.
Then send us resulting configuration file.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
http://www.abacre.com
support@abacre.com

zlatan24

Post by zlatan24 »

Franco wrote:I was testing the Demo Version of Advanced Find and Replace to see if this is what we need for our company prior of buying it.

I found out that our Word 2003 files became corrupt after using search and replace on them (.doc and .dot)
Further investigations showed that this happens when a word from the header (or footer) is beeing replaced with more or less characters then the original string. :(

Example:
Replacing the word "car" in the Header or Footer of an word document with the word "cat" is working fine as both words are the same lenght. Replacing the word "car" with "me" or "card" will corrupt the file

The "Search/Replace in MS Office files" Option is checked everywhere in the Options

thanks for a hint
Franco
Effective determination for present situation is a doc recovery. The software has all required capacities such as restoring word files after power failures, viruses. It can work with files from any version of MS Excel. The software demonstrates the results of working with bad word files.

Ansari443

Post by Ansari443 »

One more update:

I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional. This did not fix the problem.

However, I did install Windows Virtual Machine with Windows XP. In the XP environment I installed Word 2007 and AFR 7.6. AFR and 7.6 in XP virtual machine work perfect. This is a bit of a long ways to got to get it to work, but it does work.