Connect multiple / Connect network computers

General discussions about Abacre Retail Point of Sale
jacq7007

Connect multiple / Connect network computers

Post by jacq7007 »

I'm been battling to connect my Abacre Retail POS to a network. Please help. I'm running Windows 7 and don't know if it is the Firewall thats blocking the Firebird DB.

rossitapas

Re: Connect multiple / Connect network computers

Post by rossitapas »

Hi

I have the same problem on the Restuarant version. Because firebird.msg is on the server in programfiles(x86) it cannot be accessed from the remote machines. I have spent ages with network settings and permissions but it is not possible. The old version 4 (access database)worked perfectly and so do the printers so it is a problem with firebird. If this can be moved to a public folder it should work but the local / remote selection doesn't seem to offer the option.

Sorry niot to be much help but you are not alone with this.

Best Regards
Steve

rossitapas

Post by rossitapas »

Roman has been great in trying to help me. In the end I sent him some screen shots so he could see what I was doing wrong and his reply fixed it in seconds. If you have the same problem just follow Roman's reply as below and good luck.

"
You are one step before making it working.
Thank you for sending screenshots. Now I have real data to
communicate with you.

So I see on your screenshots:
for TAPAS1-MSI
the path to database is:
C:\Users\Public\...etc

and for TAPAS2-MSI
the path to database is:
\\TAPAS1-MSI\Users\Public\... etc
so it's not correct!
As I wrote in previous message: connection settings for the TAPAS2-MSI
must be EXACTLY THE SAME as on TAPAS1-MSI.

In other words:
1. start Abacre Retail Point of Sale on TAPAS2-MSI
2. on Login window press More button.
3. set path to database the same as on TAPAS1-MSI:
4. press OK to login.

so it will be working.

I see on TAPAS2-MSI you have server's name: TAPAS1-MSI
so it's correct.
thus everything is correct except for path to database on TAPAS2-MSI.

As I wrote early: this system of paths like: \\TAPAS1-MSI\Users\ is
from MS Access.
on Oracle, MS SQL Server, Firebird, MySQL you just use it like it's
defined on server's machine:
in other word path to DB should be:

aschlottman

Post by aschlottman »

I know this is an old topic, but seems somewhat on course with a question; Can you access the database from multiple computers at one time? Seems like I have heard of some errors when trying to do this.

Abacre
Site Admin

Post by Abacre »

Yes. You can access the same database at the same time from several workstations.
On Login window press More button. And set connection method as Remote on all your workstations. That's all.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
http://www.abacre.com
support@abacre.com

rahul12

Post by rahul12 »

I have 2 MSI touch screen machines connected with CAT5. Three is no internet connection and both machines are configured as public network under 64 bit Windows 7. Running demo version 4 was fine with the database on one machine. I upgraded to 2 standard licences version 5 and the database converted to fbd in a public folder so I can see it on both machines. No trouble accessing any public folder on either machine and with the right permissions I can see the programfiles(x86) folder but it is not possible to open it from the remote machine. My problem therefore is that as the firebird server is in programfiles(x86) the remote machine can not access it and the program will not run. Has anybody else had this problem and what is the solution please.
Save your time and get on time success in pass4sure.co.uk and CHECKPOINT exams by using our latest University of Wisconsin - Madison and other superb exam pass resources of wikipedia and selftestengine.

Abacre
Site Admin

Post by Abacre »

Please read the pages:

How to use Abacre Retail Point of Sale in network?
http://www.abacre.com/retailpointofsale ... etwork.htm

Most common network problems
http://www.pointofsale.abacre.net/networkproblems

In previous version we have been using Microsoft Access.
It's known that MS Access is using file sharing technology: you need to create public folder, share it using Windows Sharing etc.

In the last version we started to use Firebird database. It's using classical client-server technology like other database engines use (Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL etc).
So it's not needed to share folders at all. And you don't even need to make firebird accessible from Program Files.
Read the pages above. It became even simpler and faster than using MS Access before.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
http://www.abacre.com
support@abacre.com